Okay so a few people have asked for the recipe I use to make the basic cupcakes & frosting pictured above so I thought I would share the details with you. If even I can make decent tasting cake then so can you!
1) Turn the oven to 170 degrees
2) In a mixing bowl weigh the following:
a. 130g Plain Flour
b. 150g Caster Sugar
c. 40g Real unsalted butter
d. 2.5 teaspoons baking powder
3) Mix together on a medium speed until all ingredients are combined (you don’t want to see big lumps of butter)
4) In a jug pour out:
a. 80ml of whole milk
b. 1 Medium egg
c. 1 Teaspoon (5mls) of vanilla essence
5) Turn the mixer down to add the liquid ingredients and once added turn the mixer back up for around 4 mins until all the ingredients are combined.
6) Put cake cases in your tray (I use muffin cases as they are a little bigger and work well)
7) Use a tablespoon to scoop the mixture into each case
8) Place on the middle shelf in the oven for 18 mins
9) After 18mins if the cakes are firm and bouncy to touch take them out and leave to cool for about 45 mins before adding frosting
To make the cupcakes chocolate replace 30g of flour with Cocoa Powder & take out the vanilla essence. You may need to add a dash more milk as the cocoa is very absorbent!
Frosting I do love Frosting!
1) Weigh out into your mixer bowl:
a. 500g Icing Sugar
b. 175g Real unsalted butter
c. 40ml of whole milk
d. 2 Teaspoons (10ml) of vanilla essence
2) Start the mixer as slowly as possible (the icing sugar will fly everywhere otherwise)
3) Once the ingredients are combined turn up the speed of the mixer until the frosting is light & fluffy.
4) If you want to add colour you can but only use gel colours or you will alter the consistency of the frosting
To make the frosting chocolate replace 30g of icing sugar with Cocoa Powder but you might need to add a dash more milk in order to be able to pipe as the cocoa is very absorbent!